Not only have Huawei phone sales tanked in the light of Huawei’s US trade ban, but a report from Bloomberg claims the company could yank the new Honor 20 from shelves if sales are poor.
Bloomberg says cites a source as saying that the company has been exploring various options including considering pulling the Honor 20 – Honor is another Huawei brand. The source says that “executives are monitoring the launch and may cut off shipments if it sells poorly as expected”.
Huawei’s founder Ren Zhengfei has confirmed a 40 percent drop in smartphone shipments outside of China – a drop of some 40 to 60 million handsets. That’s a significant chunk of Huawei’s business – the conglomerate shifted 206 million handsets last year. Zhengfei also revealed the eye-watering figure of $30 billion – that’s how much business he expects Huawei to lose over the next two years as a result of the ban.
The US blacklisted Huawei last month, banning US businesses from doing business with the Chinese giant. However, a temporary reprieve was granted until August. We’re expecting Huawei to debut its own OS on the upcoming Mate 30 and Mate 30 Pro in October.
Recently Google warned the US Government that there was potential for Huawei’s version of Android to pose a security risk.
We’ve already seen Huawei’s handsets cut-out of 5G launches, while the launch of the Honor 20 took place last month without an on-sale date or price. We now know it is going on sale in the UK on Friday at Three, Amazon, Mobile Phones Direct, Very and Carphone Warehouse.
Credits Pocket Lint
I post weekly videos to my YouTube Channel, and the videos could be anything from the latest Tech News, Smartphone News, Gadget Reviews, Streaming Tips, VPN reviews and much more!